How do I find an NHS dentist?
The answer is, with great difficulty! The number of dentists who carry out NHS work is declining which has, unfortunately, resulted in a great many people being without a dentist.
Dentists who undertake NHS treatment will have a contract with the local Primary Care Trust (PCT) in your area. What you need to do is to see if any of these dentists will accept new patients.
There are two ways of doing this: one approach is to ring NHS Direct and the other is to visit the NHS choices website.
If these dentists are not currently accepting any more patients then ask NHS Direct if you can be put on a waiting list.
If you are taken on by an NHS dentist then you should be given a treatment plan from the outset which will show you what treatment you need and the cost.
Note: denture repairs are free.
You can get NHS dental treatment for free if you are under 18, in receipt of a social security benefit such as Income Support, on a low income or pregnant.
If you cannot find an NHS dentist then your only option is to ‘go private’. This means checking out a few clinics to see what they offer and their fees.
General Dentistry Guide Index:
- What is a ‘general dentist?’
- What does general dentistry include?
- How much does dental treatment cost?
- How do I find an NHS dentist?
- I hate visiting the dentist: can I get help with this?
- Will it hurt?
- What is ‘root canal treatment?’
- What are ‘tooth extractions?’
- What is a ‘filling?’
- What is a ‘bridge?’
- What are ‘onlays’ and ‘inlays?’
- What are dentures?
- What is ‘dental cleaning?’
- Smile Makeover
- Teeth Whitening
- Dental Veneers
- Dental Crowns
- Dental Bridges
- Dental Restorations
- Dental Implants
- Cerec dentistry
- Cosmetic Bonding
- Tooth Reshaping
- Full Mouth Reconstruction
- Cost of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Teeth Straightening
- Inman Aligner
- 6 month smiles
- Damon Braces
- Lingual braces
- General Dentistry
- Dental Hygiene
- Perio Protect
- Toothpaste Intro
- What is Toothpaste?
- Why should you use toothpaste?
- Toothpaste and dental hygiene
- Types of Toothpaste
- Toothpaste FAQs
- Mouthwash Intro
- What is a Mouthwash?
- Why should you use a Mouthwash?
- Types of Mouthwash
- Mouthwash FAQs