What will happen on the day of my breast reduction surgery?
Have a shower when you get up but do not apply any make up or nail varnish. Do not put on any jewellery.
It is a good idea to leave jewellery and other valuable items at home. The clinic/hospital cannot be held responsible if they go missing.
Ask your partner/friend/family member to drive you to the clinic or hospital. Once you arrive they can stay with you until it is time for your surgery. If you would prefer them to stay then some cosmetic providers will recommend hotels where they can stay. They may even be able to arrange this.
At the clinic or hospital you will be met by the nursing staff. There is an admission process to go through which is routine and just involves you filling in some forms. These forms will ask for your name, address, age, next of kin etc. This information is kept confidential.
You will be shown to your room where the staff will help you to settle in. It is normal to feel anxious about surgery and they will help to reassure you.
They can help you to unpack and put things away. Have your nightwear, dressing gown and slippers to hand. You can bring food and drink with you but you will not be allowed to have these until after your surgery.
If you have not paid for your surgery then you can do so on the day. Most patients prefer to do this before they come into hospital as it is one less thing to worry about. The hospital/clinic cashier will come and see you to settle the payment.
Once you are settled in then a nurse will visit you to perform a series of tests. Don’t worry these are standard pre-operative checks. They will include taking blood and urine samples, checking your blood pressure and measuring your height and weight.
You will then be visited by your surgeon. He/she will check to see if you are OK and have settled in. If you have any questions then ask these and as many times as you need. If you have not signed a consent form then you will be given this to sign. Make sure you fully understand what you are signing and that you are happy to do so.
This form is designed to protect you and the surgeon. It is a statement of your ‘informed consent’ to surgery. It will contain information about the surgery which includes potential complications.
Remember: you can still change your mind even at this point.
You will be given a theatre gown to change into and a pair of compression socks to wear. The socks help to prevent the build up of blood clots which can cause deep vein thrombosis. The nurse may also give you an injection of Heparin: this is a drug which thins the blood and so prevent blood clots.
Breast Reduction Surgery Guide Index:
- What is ‘breast reduction’ surgery?
- Who should consider breast reduction surgery?
- Who is not suitable for breast reduction surgery?
- Why shouldn’t I have breast reduction surgery?
- How much does breast reduction surgery cost?
- Can I get help paying for my breast reduction?
- Can I have breast reduction surgery on the NHS?
- Can I have breast reduction surgery abroad?
- I want breast reduction surgery, what next?
- How do I find a reputable breast reduction surgeon?
- What questions should I ask my surgeon?
- I have decided to go ahead so what happens next?
- How do I prepare for my breast reduction surgery?
- What will happen on the day of my surgery?
- What is the breast reduction procedure?
- What will happen after my breast reduction surgery?
- What does recovery from breast reduction involve?
- What are the benefits of breast reduction surgery?
- What are the risks of breast reduction surgery?
- Is there an ‘aftercare’ service for breast reduction surgery?
- How long does breast reduction last?
COSMETIC SURGERY TREATMENTS
- Breast Enlargement Surgery
- Breast implants - A Guide
- Breast Lift Surgery
- Breast Asymmetry Surgery
- Breast Reduction Surgery
- Breast Capsulectomy Surgery
- Breast Implant removal Surgery
- Breast implant replacement
- Capsular Contracture
- Nipple reduction surgery
- Inverted Nipple surgery
- Mini Facelift
- Rhinoplasty - Nose Reshaping
- Revision Rhinoplasty
- Eyelid Lift surgery
- Neck lift surgery
- Brow Lift / Forehead Lift
- Cheek Implant Surgery
- Chin Augmentation - Implants
- Chin Reduction Surgery
- Ear Correction Surgery
- Arm Lift Surgery
- Body Lift Surgery
- Male breast reduction
- Buttock Lift surgery
- Buccal fat removal
- Feather Lift Surgery
- Extended abdominoplasty
- Tummy Tuck
- Mini Tummy Tuck
- Partial abdominoplasty
- Thigh Lift Surgery
- Aphrodite Gold
- Collagen Lip Injection
- Fat Injections
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Obagi Skin Peel
- Wrinkle treatments
- Laser Hair Removal
- Scar Revision
- Thread Vein removal
- Penis Enlargement Surgery
- Vaginoplasty - vaginal tightening
- Varicose Vein Surgery
- TOP 10 COSMETIC SURGERY PROCEDURES