How long does the recovery take for ear reshaping surgery (otoplasty)?
Everyone is different when it comes to post-operative recovery. Some people recover quicker than others and vice versa.
If your child has undergone this procedure then you may want to stay overnight in hospital with your child.
You will find that you are able to get up and about a few hours after surgery. The vast majority of otoplasty surgery is carried out as day surgery.
Your head and ears will ache and feel sore for a few days afterwards but you will be given pain medication to deal with this. Keep your head bandage on and ask someone to help you out at home with the usual household tasks.
This heavy bandage will be replaced with a much lighter one after a week. This lighter bandage looks like a headband and must be worn for 24 hours over the next two weeks.
The recovery time tends to be 5 days for an adult and a week or so for children. You can return to work or school after that time but avoid any contact sports such as rugby for at least a month.
When you go home if you notice any of the following contact your surgeon immediately:
- Shortness of breath, pains in the chest or a rapid heartbeat
- The wound becomes infected or is slow to heal
- There is excessive bleeding
- There is a sudden increase in pain
Otoplasty - ear correction surgery / ear reshaping surgery Guide Index:
- What is otoplasty surgery?
- Who should consider ear reshaping surgery?
- Who is not suitable for otoplasty?
- How much does ear reshaping surgery cost?
- Can I have ear reshaping surgery on the NHS?
- Can I go abroad for otoplasty?
- How do I find a reputable surgeon for ear reshaping surgery?
- What should I ask my surgeon?
- I have decided to have surgery, what next?
- What is the otoplasty procedure?
- How long does the recovery take for ear reshaping surgery?
- What are the benefits of ear reshaping surgery?
- What are the risks of ear reshaping surgery?
- What aftercare is available for ear reshaping surgery?
- How long do the effects of otoplasty last?
COSMETIC SURGERY TREATMENTS
- Breast Enlargement Surgery
- Breast implants - A Guide
- Breast Lift Surgery
- Breast Asymmetry Surgery
- Breast Reduction Surgery
- Breast Capsulectomy Surgery
- Breast Implant removal Surgery
- Breast implant replacement
- Capsular Contracture
- Nipple reduction surgery
- Inverted Nipple surgery
- Mini Facelift
- Rhinoplasty - Nose Reshaping
- Revision Rhinoplasty
- Eyelid Lift surgery
- Neck lift surgery
- Brow Lift / Forehead Lift
- Cheek Implant Surgery
- Chin Augmentation - Implants
- Chin Reduction Surgery
- Ear Correction Surgery
- Arm Lift Surgery
- Body Lift Surgery
- Male breast reduction
- Buttock Lift surgery
- Buccal fat removal
- Feather Lift Surgery
- Extended abdominoplasty
- Tummy Tuck
- Mini Tummy Tuck
- Partial abdominoplasty
- Thigh Lift Surgery
- Aphrodite Gold
- Collagen Lip Injection
- Fat Injections
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Obagi Skin Peel
- Wrinkle treatments
- Laser Hair Removal
- Scar Revision
- Thread Vein removal
- Varicose Vein Surgery
- TOP 10 COSMETIC SURGERY PROCEDURES