Aftercare following Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery
As this is a relative new procedure it’s long term efficiency is as yet unknown. Many patients are starting to prefer this rather than a gastric bypass but there is no data at present to say what the long term effects will be from this procedure.
It’s safe and effective but like any form of surgery it does have side effects. Complications are rare but do happen and it is as well to know about these.
The risks of this surgery are:
- Unusual or adverse reaction to anaesthesia. This also applies to any prescribed medication.
- Marginal ulcers. These can occur at the junction between the exit from the stomach and the entrance to the small intestine.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Heart or respiratory problems
- Malnutrition and other nutritional problems
- High risk of osteoporosis
In respect of the last risk, death: this is uncommon and only accounts for around 0.5% of cases.
Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery guide sections
- sleeve gastrectomy Surgery overview
- What are the benefits of sleeve gastrectomy surgery ?
- What are the risks of sleeve gastrectomy surgery?
- Preparing for sleeve gastrectomy surgery
- The sleeve gastrectomy surgery Procedure
- After the opperation
- Aftercare following sleeve gastrectomy surgery
- FAQs about sleeve gastrectomy surgery
Weight Loss Surgery Guide
- Types of weight loss surgery
- Benefits of weight loss surgery
- Risks of Weight loss surgery
- Suitability for weight loss surgery
- Weight loss surgery criteria guidelines
- Exclusion Criteria for weight loss surgery
- Finding a obesity surgeon
- Weight loss surgery abroad
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Gastric band surgery
- Biliopancreatic Diversion
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Gastric Balloon
- Gastric Stimulation
- Revision weight loss Surgery
- Obesity surgery and children
- Obesity surgery and teenagers
- Obesity surgery and older people
- Obesity Surgery and pregnancy
- Costs of weight loss surgery
- Weight loss surgery on the NHS
- Paying for weight loss surgery privately
- Cosmetic Surgery After obesity surgery
- Anti obesity medication
- Duodenal Switch