Are You Suitable For Laser Eye Treatment?

July 6th, 2012
Are You Suitable For Laser Eye Treatment?

Do you wear glasses or contact lenses? Are you having trouble seeing because of cataract development?

If so, then you might want to consider laser eye treatment.

However while laser treatment has grown tremendously over the last few years, not everyone is suitable for treatment. As such, it is possibly worthwhile knowing a little about what could prevent you benefiting, before making a decision to get work done. However it is always advisable to consult your doctor and optician before going headlong into a treatment which you might not in the end be suitable for.

Around 80% of patients are eligible for laser eye treatment, but there are a number of disorders which may be problematic for the other 20%. These include pregnant and breastfeeding women. Hormonal changes can affect the person’s vision, so it is advisable to wait till this is finished.

Similarly if you suffer from diabetes this may initially be a barrier. What matters is that you are managing your diabetes properly, and do not have eye or other visual problems such as retinopathy.

More seriously, glaucoma is a major eye disorder which will prevent treatment. But here again it is not conclusive.

Laser eye therapy involves the reshaping of the cornea by laser cutting and hence refocusing the power. Glaucoma can cause retinal nerve damage which is not treatable with laser therapy. Having said that experts say that if you wear contact lenses rather than spectacles, it is possible you may be eligible for therapy. So it is worth checking beforehand.

There are other reasons which may debar you from treatment. These factors include other underlying health issues and age – laser eye treatment is rarely carried out on children younger than 18. A child’s eyesight only settles around 21.

If you are considering getting treatment, it is always advisable to visit your doctor and optician before any decision is made.

 

Leave a Reply

© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved