The cost of cosmetic surgery is often too expensive for many people, especially during these times of economic hardship and so there now appears to be a growing trend for cheap DIY solutions. Unfortunately, the chances of these ‘solutions’ going wrong are very high.
The latest case involves woman who decided to inject herself with hot beef fat, who later died from a bacterial infection.
Oddly though, doctors who treated her said that the injection itself did not contribute to her demise.
The case came to light after the lady in question went to hospital complaining of a burning sensation in her face after injecting the fat and then died soon after. However, the autopsy revealed that she had died from peritonitis, which is an inflammation of the abdomen’s inner wall, rather than from the effects of her cosmetic experiment.
It also turns out that the lady had in fact been injecting herself with hot beef on several occasions, but without any ill effects and had also had legitimate plastic surgery. However, one expert believes that injecting yourself this way could ultimately cause a serious allergic reaction.
Speaking with reporters, Dr. Phillip Haeck, president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons said: “One of the injections could cause the skin to erode or ulcerate. We know that injections of animal proteins do not cause system wide failure, but it tends to cause local reactions. A lot of people who have allergic reactions to animal proteins will say that their face is burning like this woman did. That’s probably what was going on here.”
Dr. Haek added: “There are a lot people out there doing self-injections for wrinkles, but I don’t know of any medical associations that would recommend this.”
“It’s not worth taking a chance with your face to try to save money when it could ultimately cost you a lot more money.”