The cost of infertility tests and treatment
A word about fertility tests and costs: fertility tests and treatment are available on the NHS but it depends on where you live. This postcode lottery means that some parts of the country offer a good service with acceptable waiting times whereas others will be oversubscribed which means long waiting lists.
There is the option to go privately but tests and treatment are extremely expensive which rules this option out for a great many people. And this is less of an option in today’s economic climate.
As a rough guide you can expect to pay the following (private infertility clinic):
- From £2,000 to £5,000 for IVF (a single treatment cycle)
- From £3,000 to £5,000 for ICSI
- With donor eggs - £4,000 to £5,000
- Around £5,000 for GIFT
- Around £500 for IUI
- Around £2,000 for ZIFT
- Around £900 for FET (frozen embryo transfer)
- Around £700 for donor insemination
- Around £5,000 to £8,000 for IVF with PGD
Costs of fertility tests can range from £40-£50 for a blood test to £100 or more for sperm analysis or £200 for an ultrasound scan.
Infertility treatment is not widely available on the NHS and the types of treatment available to you will depend on your fertility problem.
The good news is that the NHS will pay for fertility tests. So if your doctor refers you to a fertility specialist for further investigation then this will be paid for by the NHS. In fact, the NHS offers this service to all fertility patients but many people choose to go private instead because of long waiting times.
If you are desperately hoping for a baby then time is of the essence. And the thought of lengthy waiting lists just makes things worse. This is why many couples will go to great lengths to pay for private treatment.
The cost of infertility tests and treatment Guide Index:
- The cost of infertility tests and treatment - Intro
- Going privately for Infertility treatment
- NHS funded infertility treatment
- NICE guidelines and fertility treatment costs
- Fertility funding and your Primary Care Trust (PCT)
- How do I apply for Infertility treatment funding?
- Cost of private Infertility treatment
- Infertility Guide
- what is infertility?
- infertility myths
- infertility facts
- female infertility
- medical conditions
- emotional aspects of infertility
- donor insemination
- infertility and your general practitioner
- fertility success rates
- fertility treatment abroad
- infertility tests
- infertility treatment
- infertility faqs
- the cost of infertility tests and treatment
- ivf (in vitro fertilisation) and gift (gamete intra fallopian transfer)
- finding a fertility clinic
- male infertility
- pregnancy tests
- Fertility Extension