Who uses a BMI calculator?
It is often used by doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals as a means of determining if a patient is overweight or obese.
Being overweight or obese can cause long term health problems so action needs to be taken early on. If a BMI measurement indicates that a patient is overweight then a doctor can recommend a diet and exercise regime.
If you fall into the overweight or obese category then you will have to make some changes to your lifestyle. And these changes will probably have to be followed for the rest of your life.
But, it is being increasingly recognised that this measurement is only suitable as an average guide only. Where it falls down is with the following categories:
- Sportspeople: these include athletes and bodybuilders
- The elderly
- Pregnant women or women who are breastfeeding
Body Mass Index Guide Index:
- Other factors with Body Mass Index
- Alternatives to Body Mass Index
- Is Body Mass Index still important?