Other factors with Body Mass Index
Other factors with BMI include your type of build and body frame size.
Build refers to the type of physique we have and which of the three ‘somatypes’ we lean towards.
The 3 somatypes are:
- Mesomorph: naturally lean and muscular. Finds it easy to gain and lose weight.
- Ectomorph: very slim, finds it difficult to gain weight
- Endomorph: stocky, tendency to gain weight easily
Each one of us is a combination of the 3 types although one type will dominate. For example, the lean and muscular athlete is likely to be a mesomorph (the dominant type in this case) combined with an ectomorph build.
Body frame size refers to whether you have a small, medium or large frame. How do you know what frame size you have?
Easy, just wrap your thumb and major fingers around the slimmest part of your wrist.
- If your fingers overlap then you have a small frame
- If your fingers just touch then you have a medium frame
- If your fingers don’t touch then you have a large frame
So, your build and frame size will also determine which category you fall into. The larger your frame size the heavier you will weigh.
Body Mass Index Guide Index:
- Other factors with Body Mass Index
- Alternatives to Body Mass Index
- Is Body Mass Index still important?