Psychological Treatments for Depression
Many cases of depression require some form of psychological therapy and there are many treatments available from the NHS. Your doctor may refer you to a psychologist at a hospital if they feel that will benefit from psychological therapy.
Psychological treatments include:
- Interpersonal therapy - This type of psychological treatment works to identify any problems you may have in terms of relationships with your family, friends and work colleagues. By establishing problems with any relationships the psychologist will begin to find patterns and offer an appropriate solution.
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy - This involves a combination of behavioural and cognitive treatment methods. Cognitive therapy is to do with factors in your life that contribute to your depression and possible reasons. Behavioural therapy is more concerned with negative behavioural habits. The mix of cognitive and behavioral therapy helps you to develop a realistic and practical outlook to achieve a more positive about certain aspects in your life. Overall, cognitive-behavioural therapy helps people to change their mental and physical outlook on life in order to implement positive changes to get them back on track.
- Problem solving therapy - This is a common psychological treatment used for postnatal depression. You may require around six sessions with the counsellor who will teach you how to tackle problems in life. Problem solving therapy can help you take necessary steps to improve your way of coping with difficulties.
Post Natal depression Guide
- Post Natal depression
- What causes depression?
- What are symptoms of depression?
- How is postnatal depression diagnosed?
- What steps can I take if I have symptoms of depression during pregnancy or after childbirth?
- Do mothers suffering from postnatal depression harm their baby?
- How is depression treated?
- Can fathers get postnatal depression?
- Psychological Treatments for Depression
- Treating Postnatal Depression with St John’s Wort
- How to help yourself