Treating Postnatal Depression with St John’s Wort
St John’s Wort, also known as Hypericum, is a herbal antidepressant which you can purchase from a pharmacy without a prescription. It may be useful in helping with postnatal depression, as it has become popular in treating mild forms of depression, and is made from natural botanical ingredients.
St John’s Wort is not recommended if you are breastfeeding as there is still relatively little information or evidence to say that is completely safe. If you are considering taking the treatment of St John’s Wort then you should discuss it with your doctor first concerning cases where it may not be suitable, for example, if you are taking other medications. Some studies have shown that St John’s Wort has caused dangerous side effects in patients who have HIV, as in some cases the antidepressant does not mix well with other medications.
If you are suffering from postnatal depression it is best to get an informed medical opinion before taking St John’s Wort treatment as it always best to be safer than sorry.
Post Natal depression Guide
- Post Natal depression
- What causes depression?
- What are symptoms of depression?
- How is postnatal depression diagnosed?
- What steps can I take if I have symptoms of depression during pregnancy or after childbirth?
- Do mothers suffering from postnatal depression harm their baby?
- How is depression treated?
- Can fathers get postnatal depression?
- Psychological Treatments for Depression
- Treating Postnatal Depression with St John’s Wort
- How to help yourself