Will any exclusions apply to the cover?
It is common for insurance companies to exclude certain illnesses from their critical illness policies and you can find details of exclusions in the policy documents or when you speak to your insurance provider.
Policies differ according to the provider and the level of cover you choose, but there are some illnesses that are generally excluded from critical illness cover. These include:
- HIV and AIDS.
- Self-inflicted injuries.
- Injuries caused by war or civil unrest.
- Injuries caused by criminal acts.
- Drug abuse.
- Injuries caused by dangerous sports or hobbies.
Exclusions may also apply if the policy holder fails to abide by medical advice. If you have pre-existing health conditions before you choose to have critical illness cover, it is vital that you disclose this information as it may not be covered and your insurance provider may not pay up.
Finding out if your condition is covered
It is important to check the finer points of your policy if you wish to make a claim, and you will have the chance to find details of exclusions in your policy deed or you can drop a line to your insurance company if you can’t find the policy leaflet. If you have any issues about the illness you have in relation to your insurance policy, contact your provider and they will be able to answer your questions.
In some precedents, you may be asked to provide additional information about your condition in order for a claim to be processed, which may include recent test results.
- Life Insurance - Intro
- Why should I consider buying critical illness cover?
- Which illnesses are covered?
- How do I compare critical illness cover policies?
- What is the cost of critical illness cover?
- Can I increase my cover after the policy starts?
- How do I make a claim?
- What is level term life insurance?
- What is mortgage protection insurance?
- What are critical illness policies?
- Will any exclusions apply to the critical illness cover?
- What types of critical illness policy are available?
- Who can take out critical illness cover?
- How do I apply for critical illness cover?
- What should I do if I want to complain?