How do I make a claim?
If you have critical illness cover and you are diagnosed with a serious illness, check the details of your policy to confirm that your illness is covered and then get in contact with your insurance company (or ask a friend or relative to do this for you). Your insurance firm will ask for your account details and your policy number, so it is a good idea to have these at hand when you call.
Your insurance company will send out a claims form for you to fill in and you will be asked about your illness, the physicians who carried out your procedure and the treatment you have had so far (if any). Your insurance provider will also write to your doctors to acquire more details about your condition and confirm that you have the problem you are claiming for.
If you have an illness that is covered in the guidelines of your policy, your insurance company will process your claim and confirm your payout. In certain cases, there may be a delay because some policies have restrictions on paying out, which may include only paying if a condition is permanent, for example, and it can take some time for doctors to confirm that an illness is permanent.
Some policies also have a survival period, which is a set period of time a policy holder must bear with the condition before a payment is made, which is usually no longer than one month. You should check the details of your policy carefully to see if there is a set survival period.
In some cases, you may be required to supply medical evidence on top of the information provided by your doctors, which may include the results of tests or examinations.
If you have any queries about making a claim, you may find it helpful to visit your insurance provider’s website, as most have sections that talk you through the claims process step-by-step. If you cannot find the information you need, telephone your insurance company and they will talk you through making a claim.
Once your claim has been processed your insurance company will contact you to tell you when you can expect your payout.
- Life Insurance - Intro
- Why should I consider buying critical illness cover?
- Which illnesses are covered?
- How do I compare critical illness cover policies?
- What is the cost of critical illness cover?
- Can I increase my cover after the policy starts?
- How do I make a claim?
- What is level term life insurance?
- What is mortgage protection insurance?
- What are critical illness policies?
- Will any exclusions apply to the critical illness cover?
- What types of critical illness policy are available?
- Who can take out critical illness cover?
- How do I apply for critical illness cover?
- What should I do if I want to complain?