Comparison FUT with FUE - A guide to Hair Transplant Surgery
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) are often seen as two separate procedures. But, FUE can form part of FUT in that follicular units are removed from the donor area before being inserted in the recipient area.
A follicular unit transplant can be a two stage process as follows:
- Stage one: follicular units are removed either as a ‘strip’ or via direct extraction (FUE)
- Stage two: these units are then inserted into the bald area of the scalp
So, FUT can be performed with or without FUE.
To be more specific: we are making a comparison between two methods of obtaining follicular units for implantation. We are looking at the ways these are done and weighing up the advantages and disadvantages of both.
This involves removing follicular units via a thin, horizontal strip. These units are then dissected from this strip under a microscope which means that they are separated from the strip. Once this has been done the units are then inserted into the recipient area.
The follicular units are removed in a process called ‘direct extraction’. This means that they are removed one by one from the donor area before being placed directly into the recipient area. FUE takes longer and is more expensive than FUT.
Several sessions of FUE are needed in order to achieve a result whereas a result can be obtained in a single FUT session.
Risk of damaged (transaction) or broken follicular units with FUE compared to FUT.
Hair Transplant Surgery Methods Guide Index:
- Hair Transplant Surgery Methods Intro
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
- Follicular Unit Extraction
- Hair Loss Guide
- Hair Structure Guide
- Male hair loss Guide
- Female Hair Loss Guide
- Hair care Guide
- Hair Loss treatments Guide
- Wigs Guide
- Hair Loss Treatment Prices
- FAQS About Hair Loss
- Glossary for Hair loss
- Hair Transplant Surgery
- What is a Hair Transplant?
- Do I need a hair transplant?
- Preparing for your Hair Transplant
- The day of your Hair Transplant
- After your Hair Transplant
- Female Hair Transplant
- Finding a Hair Transplant Clinic
- Hair Transplant Surgery Methods
- Costs of Hair Transplants
- Hair Transplant FAQs
- Hair Transplant Glossary