Benefits of hormone replacement therapy
Many menopausal women find that HRT has been literally been a lifesaver in regard to dealing with their symptoms.
If you are considering HRT then this section discusses the benefits of doing so. There are risks as well which are discussed separately.
The symptoms of the menopause – which are both physical and emotional –are a sign of the many biological changes taking place in your body as a result of this transition.
Some women are lucky and only experience a few mild effects but others have the full range which can be distressing and basically, horrible to cope with.
HRT has been seen, practically as a ‘cure’ for these symptoms and has enabled thousands of women to return to a normal way of life. The thought of taking something which eases hot flushes, reduces the risk of osteoporosis, dampens down mood swings and improves the muscle tone of the vagina is not to be ignored.
For many women HRT has improved their quality of life.
The main reasons for taking HRT are to ease the symptoms of the menopause, and to reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
The benefits of HRT are:
- Reduces the risk of osteoporosis
- Improved sleep (stops night sweats)
- Stops hot flushes
- Boosts mental wellbeing (controls mood swings)
- Reduced joint/muscle pain
- Improved vaginal muscle tone
- Reduces the risk of colorectal cancer
These benefits will vary according to the type of HRT you are taking.
- Guide to Menopause
- What is the menopause?
- Female hormones and menopause
- Premature menopause
- Menopause signs
- Menopause symptoms
- Hot flushes
- Night sweats
- Heart palpitations
- Sleep disturbances
- Mood swings
- Urinary changes
- Vaginal changes
- Weight gain
- Lack of interest in sex
- Aches and pains
- Skin changes
- Emotional changes
- Health risks of the menopause
- Heart disease
- Breast cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Menopause treatment
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Benefits of hormone replacement therapy
- Risks of hormone replacement therapy
- Alternatives to hormone replacement therapy
- Vaginal lubricants
- Menopause self help
- Nutritional supplements
- Complimentary therapies
- Botanical products
- How to survive the menopause
- Menopause myths
- Menopause FAQs