Hair Structure - Temporary hair loss
Temporary hair loss
If you lose a very high number of hairs on a daily basis then you could be experiencing temporary hair loss. It is normal to lose a certain amounts of hairs each day as part of the hair growth/loss cycle but if an excessive amount is lost then there is likely to be something causing it.
You may find that this resolves itself over time but it is better to find out what’s causing this excessive loss.
Temporary hair loss can happen as a result of any of the following:
- Medicines such as high blood pressure tablets, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) and contraceptive pills can affect hormone production and reduce hair growth.
- Stress: too much stress is bad for us and one of the many side effects is hair loss. Prolonged periods of stress can affect the hair growth cycle to the extent that excessive hair is lost during the shedding stage.
- Medical conditions such as thyroid disorders or anaemia can affect hair growth and lead to excessive hair shedding.
- Hormonal changes as a result of pregnancy or the menopause can disrupt the hair growth/loss cycle and lead to hair loss.
- Cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy have various side effects which includes hair loss.
One positive aspect here is that new hair will grow once any of these conditions are treated.
However, if you have been experiencing hair loss for more than 6 months then it’s a good idea to talk to your GP or a trichologist. They can recommend a course of hair loss treatment such as Infra-red light treatment, specially medicated shampoo or hair transplant surgery.
Hair Structure Guide
- Hair Loss Guide
- Hair Structure Guide
- Male hair loss Guide
- Female Hair Loss Guide
- Hair care Guide
- Hair Loss treatments Guide
- Wigs Guide
- Hair Loss Treatment Prices
- FAQS About Hair Loss
- Glossary for Hair loss
- Hair Transplant Surgery
- What is a Hair Transplant?
- Do I need a hair transplant?
- Preparing for your Hair Transplant
- The day of your Hair Transplant
- After your Hair Transplant
- Female Hair Transplant
- Finding a Hair Transplant Clinic
- Hair Transplant Surgery Methods
- Costs of Hair Transplants
- Hair Transplant FAQs
- Hair Transplant Glossary