I have had all my teeth removed, how soon can I wear a denture?
It depends on whether you are having the ‘immediate’ type of denture or the normal conventional denture.
The immediate type of denture can be fitted straight after you have had your teeth removed. Your dentist will take measurements of your teeth as well as an ‘impression’. This enables him or her to make a model of your jaw for the fabrication of the dentures.
The main advantage of this is that you don’t have to put up with having no teeth while you wait. Rather than having to go a month without any teeth which can be awkward, it means that you get your replacement teeth there and then.
But, there is the risk of your gums and teeth shrinking whilst they heal. As you will be wearing your dentures during this healing period you will probably find that you will need a few minor adjustments.
If you are opted for the conventional denture then you will have to wait for 6 to 8 weeks until your mouth has fully healed. If you have a few remaining teeth then you can wear a partial denture during this time until your full set of dentures is ready.
Patients often find that dentures fit better when their mouth has fully healed so it may better to wait after all.
Dentures Guide Index:
- What are dentures?
- I have had all my teeth removed, how soon can I wear a denture?
- How are they fitted?
- Will people notice that I am wearing dentures?
- How do I eat with dentures?
- Will my speech be affected?
- Do I need to use a fixative to keep them in place?
- What is the best way of cleaning my dentures?
- What are the benefits of dentures?
- How long do dentures last for?
- Do I still need regular check ups at my dentist?
- How much do dentures cost?
- Is there an alternative to dentures?
- Valplast Flexible Partial Dentures
- Denture Relining
- Denture Adhesives
- Denture Fixatives
- Smile Makeover
- Teeth Whitening
- Dental Veneers
- Dental Crowns
- Dental Bridges
- Dental Restorations
- Dental Implants
- Cerec dentistry
- Cosmetic Bonding
- Tooth Reshaping
- Full Mouth Reconstruction
- Cost of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Teeth Straightening
- Inman Aligner
- 6 month smiles
- Damon Braces
- Lingual braces
- General Dentistry
- Dental Hygiene
- Perio Protect
- Dental Floss