What is lichen planus?
Lichen planus is a rash which mainly affects the area around the mouth and lips, hair, nails, genitals, and occasionally other parts of the body too. There are many different types of lichen planus.
The rash of lichen planus consists of small, red-purple polygonal bumps on the skin, known as papules. These papules have a flat top and are shiny, and can vary in size. The rate at which the rash develops can also vary considerably. The rash can be very itchy, and this itch can interrupt other parts of life too. The rash tends to last 3 – 18 months, but can leave a non-itchy mark where it used to be, which can take years to fade.
Treatment for lichen planus can involve steroids or other forms of immunosuppression to reduce inflammation, and possibly antihistamine too to reduce the itchiness.
Photosensitivity Guide Index:
- What is photosensitivity?
- What are some photosensitive dermatoses caused by drugs or other chemicals?
- What are phototoxic reactions?
- What are photoallergic reactions?
- What is photocontact dermatitis?
- What are genetic and metabolic metabolic photosensitive dermatoses?
- What is pellagra?
- Who gets pellagra?
- What are some signs and symptoms of pellagra?
- What are porphyrias?
- What are acute porphyrias?
- What are cutaneous porphyrias?
- What is xeroderma pigmentosum?
- What is Bloom syndrome?
- What is Cockayne syndrome?
- What are photoaggravated dermatoses?
- What is atopic eczema?
- What is psoriasis?
- What is lichen planus?
- What is lupus erythematosus?
- What is dermatomyositis?
- What is actinic folliculitis?
- What is disseminated superficial actinic porokeratosis?
- What are acquired idiopathic photosensitive dermatoses?
- What is polymorphic light eruption?
- What is chronic actinic dermatitis?
- What is solar urticaria?
- What is actinic prurigo?
- What is hydroa vacciniforme?
- What is juvenile spring eruption?
- Allergy Treatment
- Bee Stings
- Cow's Milk Allergy
- Drug Allergies
- Egg Allergies
- Food Allergies
- Hives And Urticaria
- House dust Mite Allergy
- Latex Allergies
- Mould Allergies
- Poison Plant Allergies
- Peanut Allergy
- Pet Allergies
- Seafood Allergies
- Shellfish Allergy
- Soya Allergy
- Tree Nut Allergy
- Wheat Allergies