Q3. Why should I consider a vasectomy?
A3. If you have decided not to have children or if both of you feel that your family is complete and you don’t want any more children. You do need to be absolutely sure that this is what you want as a vasectomy is usually a permanent state of affairs.
It is an option for couples who don’t want children and find it difficult to use temporary forms of contraception.
It is a better option for older rather than younger men as there is always the chance that a young man will change his mind in the future about wanting a family. As a result of this some surgeons prefer a younger man to wait until he is older and certain that is what he wants.
It is a major decision to make and not something to be entered into lightly.
It can be reversed but this is not without its difficulties and is less successful than a vasectomy.
Find out more in our suitability for a vasectomy section.
FAQS Index : A guide to Vasectomy
- What is a vasectomy?
- Why is it called ‘the snip?’
- Why should I consider a vasectomy?
- Am I suitable for a vasectomy?
- Does it hurt?
- What are the benefits of a vasectomy?
- What are the side effects of a vasectomy?
- What is ‘post-vasectomy pain syndrome?’
- How much does a vasectomy costs?
- Can I have a vasectomy on the NHS?
- How long does a vasectomy take?
- Is there more than one procedure?
- What is ‘no-scalpel’ vasectomy?
- Can I have a local anaesthetic?
- How soon can I return to work after a vasectomy?
- I play sports; how soon can I resume them?
- What is the success rate for a vasectomy?
- What is the failure rate for a vasectomy?
- How long do I have to wait after my vasectomy before having sex?
- Is there a link between vasectomy and prostate cancer?
- Is there a link between vasectomy and testicular cancer?
- Will it affect my sex drive?
- Do I still have to use condoms after surgery?
- Will it affect our sex life?
- I am not sure whether to have a vasectomy; shall I go ahead anyway?
- Can I go abroad for a vasectomy?
- What happens if I change my mind?
- What is a vasectomy reversal?
- What is a tubal ligation?
- Is there an alternative to a vasectomy?
Guide to Vasectomy
- Vasectomy Guide
- About Vasectomy
- What to consider
- Effectiveness of a Vasectomy
- Suitability for a Vasectomy
- The Cost of a Vasectomy
- NHS or Private?
- Alternatives to a Vasectomy
- Vasectomy Surgery
- The Benefits of a Vasectomy
- The Risks of a Vasectomy
- Vasectomy Procedures
- The Initial Consultation
- Sperm Banking before Surgery
- Preparing for your Vasectomy
- The Day of your Vasectomy
- After your Vasectomy
- Results of your Vasectomy
- Sex Drive after a Vasectomy
- Going Abroad for Surgery
- Change of Mind after a Vasectomy
- Vasectomy FAQs