Q4. Am I suitable for a vasectomy?
A4. This will be decided during the consultation between you and the surgeon. He or she will look at your lifestyle, reasons for wanting a vasectomy and your medical history. He/she will also take into account any surgery you have had before, particularly if it was performed in that area, for example, surgery to treat an undescended testicle.
If you are aged 30 or under then you may be asked to talk to a counsellor before you undergo a vasectomy. This is to determine how serious you are about the procedure and that you are fully aware of what it means. A vasectomy is usually for life so you do need to be absolutely clear on this point. There is always the possibility of you changing your mind later on and this is more likely to happen with a young man rather than an older man.
Every case is treated on an individual basis. If someone is turned down for surgery then it is usually for very good reasons, e.g. the surgery is likely to endanger your health.
Find out more in our initial consultation section.
FAQS Index : A guide to Vasectomy
- What is a vasectomy?
- Why is it called ‘the snip?’
- Why should I consider a vasectomy?
- Am I suitable for a vasectomy?
- Does it hurt?
- What are the benefits of a vasectomy?
- What are the side effects of a vasectomy?
- What is ‘post-vasectomy pain syndrome?’
- How much does a vasectomy costs?
- Can I have a vasectomy on the NHS?
- How long does a vasectomy take?
- Is there more than one procedure?
- What is ‘no-scalpel’ vasectomy?
- Can I have a local anaesthetic?
- How soon can I return to work after a vasectomy?
- I play sports; how soon can I resume them?
- What is the success rate for a vasectomy?
- What is the failure rate for a vasectomy?
- How long do I have to wait after my vasectomy before having sex?
- Is there a link between vasectomy and prostate cancer?
- Is there a link between vasectomy and testicular cancer?
- Will it affect my sex drive?
- Do I still have to use condoms after surgery?
- Will it affect our sex life?
- I am not sure whether to have a vasectomy; shall I go ahead anyway?
- Can I go abroad for a vasectomy?
- What happens if I change my mind?
- What is a vasectomy reversal?
- What is a tubal ligation?
- Is there an alternative to a vasectomy?
Guide to Vasectomy
- Vasectomy Guide
- About Vasectomy
- What to consider
- Effectiveness of a Vasectomy
- Suitability for a Vasectomy
- The Cost of a Vasectomy
- NHS or Private?
- Alternatives to a Vasectomy
- Vasectomy Surgery
- The Benefits of a Vasectomy
- The Risks of a Vasectomy
- Vasectomy Procedures
- The Initial Consultation
- Sperm Banking before Surgery
- Preparing for your Vasectomy
- The Day of your Vasectomy
- After your Vasectomy
- Results of your Vasectomy
- Sex Drive after a Vasectomy
- Going Abroad for Surgery
- Change of Mind after a Vasectomy
- Vasectomy FAQs