Q25. I am not sure whether to have a vasectomy; shall I go ahead anyway?
A25. You need to be sure that this is what you want, or what you and your partner have agreed upon.
A vasectomy is a life changing procedure and the slightest doubt can lead to regrets later on. If either of you are not sure about this procedure then wait and talk things through before making a decision.
It can help to talk to a specially trained counsellor. Your GP may be able to help or recommend someone.
There have been cases where the man has gone ahead with surgery in order to please his partner and ends up regretting it later on. What happens if your partner suddenly decides that she wants to start a family or you meet someone new who wants children?
If you are under the age of 30 then really think about this before making a decision as you are still young and have many years ahead of you in which you may want to start a family. You need to be absolutely sure that you don’t want children before committing to surgery.
There is the option of reversing this surgery via a vasectomy reversal but this doesn’t work for everyone.
FAQS Index : A guide to Vasectomy
- What is a vasectomy?
- Why is it called ‘the snip?’
- Why should I consider a vasectomy?
- Am I suitable for a vasectomy?
- Does it hurt?
- What are the benefits of a vasectomy?
- What are the side effects of a vasectomy?
- What is ‘post-vasectomy pain syndrome?’
- How much does a vasectomy costs?
- Can I have a vasectomy on the NHS?
- How long does a vasectomy take?
- Is there more than one procedure?
- What is ‘no-scalpel’ vasectomy?
- Can I have a local anaesthetic?
- How soon can I return to work after a vasectomy?
- I play sports; how soon can I resume them?
- What is the success rate for a vasectomy?
- What is the failure rate for a vasectomy?
- How long do I have to wait after my vasectomy before having sex?
- Is there a link between vasectomy and prostate cancer?
- Is there a link between vasectomy and testicular cancer?
- Will it affect my sex drive?
- Do I still have to use condoms after surgery?
- Will it affect our sex life?
- I am not sure whether to have a vasectomy; shall I go ahead anyway?
- Can I go abroad for a vasectomy?
- What happens if I change my mind?
- What is a vasectomy reversal?
- What is a tubal ligation?
- Is there an alternative to a vasectomy?
Guide to Vasectomy
- Vasectomy Guide
- About Vasectomy
- What to consider
- Effectiveness of a Vasectomy
- Suitability for a Vasectomy
- The Cost of a Vasectomy
- NHS or Private?
- Alternatives to a Vasectomy
- Vasectomy Surgery
- The Benefits of a Vasectomy
- The Risks of a Vasectomy
- Vasectomy Procedures
- The Initial Consultation
- Sperm Banking before Surgery
- Preparing for your Vasectomy
- The Day of your Vasectomy
- After your Vasectomy
- Results of your Vasectomy
- Sex Drive after a Vasectomy
- Going Abroad for Surgery
- Change of Mind after a Vasectomy
- Vasectomy FAQs