Urogynaecology : Specialists

What is urogynaecology?

A branch of medicine which deals with disorders relating to female incontinence and pelvic floor disorders.

What is an urogynaecologist?

He/she is a medical professional who is trained in a specialty which is a combination of gynaecology and urology. This means that he or she will deal with problems of the female reproductive system as well as those related to the female urinary tract.

Male urinary and reproductive problems are dealt with by an urologist.

What does an urogynaecologist do?

They diagnose and treat a range of diseases which affect the female reproductive and urinary systems. These include:

  • Overactive/prolapsed bladder
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Prolapse of other pelvic organs, e.g. uterus and vagina

They will use a variety of medical imaging techniques such as MRI scans and ultrasound to help with their diagnosis.

Treatment for a pelvic floor disorder includes:

  • Change in diet
  • Avoiding heavy lifting (change of occupation)
  • Series of exercises to tone up the pelvic muscles
  • Medication
  • Electrical stimulation: a system of electrical impulses which teaches a woman to recognise and control her pelvic muscles.
  • Surgery, e.g. bladder repair

Female incontinence and pelvic floor problems require a multi-disciplinary approach, involving other medical staff such as a physiotherapist and a continence advisor.

© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved