Vascular specialists : Specialists

What does vascular mean?

The term ‘vascular’ refers to the series of veins and arteries that run throughout the whole of the body.

This extensive area is subject to a vast array of diseases which includes varicose veins and atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).

As a result of this, treatment may be undertaken by a vascular specialist, vascular surgeon, phlebologist or intervention radiologist.

What is a vascular specialist?

This is a highly trained professional who specialises in a particular area of the vascular system. They will diagnose and treat all manner of vascular diseases which include:

  • Varicose veins (the most common type of disease)
  • Coronary thrombosis (blocked artery to the heart)
  • Cerebral haemorrhage (bleeding in the brain)
  • Abdominal aortic aneurysm (swelling of the part of the aorta present within the abdomen)

What does a vascular specialist do?

He or she will treat a whole range of vascular diseases such as those mentioned above. A vascular surgeon will perform a range of procedures to treat vascular complaints which include:

    • Vein stripping (for varicose veins)
    • Carotid stenting (to widen the carotid artery to prevent strokes)
    • Angioplasty (to treat obstructions in the major arteries in the arms and legs)

Another type of vascular specialist is a phlebologist who specialty is vein disorders. He/she will use non-surgical methods to treat vascular diseases, e.g. varicose veins which include:

    • Endovenous laser treatment which heats up the vein and shuts it down.
    • Radio frequency ablation which uses electrical currents to heat a varicose vein and close it down.
© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved