Urology : Specialists

What is urology?

This is the study of male reproductive disorders and urinary tract disorders in both men and women. Female reproductive problems are dealt with by a gynaecologist or if combined with a pelvic floor disorder, by an urogynaecologist.

Male urinary tract problems are handled by an urologist. Urology often works in conjunction with other specialties such as oncology or paediatric surgery.

What is an urologist?

This medical professional is trained in the area of male and female urinary problems and diseases of the male reproductive system.

The urinary and reproductive systems are closely allied to one another which mean that when one system is affected by a disease, the other system is also affected. This applies to both men and women.

Many urologists specialise in a particular sub-specialty of urology such as andrology or urologic oncology. Others concentrate on urological disorders in children or on minimal invasive surgical techniques in this area.

What does an urologist do?

He or she will diagnose and treat a range of conditions which affect the male reproductive system as well as urinary tract disorders in both sexes. These include:

  • Prostate cancer
  • Bladder cancer
  • Testicular cancer
  • Vasectomy
  • Vasectomy reversal
  • Circumcision
  • Infections
  • Stress incontinence
  • Enlarged prostate
© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved