Q1. My pregnancy is unplanned, should I consider an abortion?
A1. There are several options open to you which includes abortion. These are choosing to continue with the pregnancy, fostering or adoption and termination.
Choosing whether to have an abortion or not is a very difficult decision to make. It depends upon your personal circumstances and your attitude towards abortion per se.
If you have strong religious or ethical views about abortion then you may have difficulty coming to terms with the idea of terminating your pregnancy. Opponents of abortion see the life of the foetus as something precious which has the right to life whereas supporters of abortion (or ‘pro-choice) argue that the woman has the right to decide what to do with her own body.
As you can see it is a highly controversial issue. Make sure you have all the information you need about abortion before making a decision. Talk to your GP and/or a counselling service, members of your family and friends.
Find out more in our abortion debate section. It may also help to look at our reasons for abortion section as well.
- My pregnancy is unplanned, should I consider an abortion?
- Does abortion hurt?
- Why is abortion such a controversial issue?
- I am thinking about having an abortion; what do I need to consider?
- Is there more than one type of abortion?
- I am under 16; do I have to get my parents permission to have an abortion?
- How much does an abortion cost?
- What reasons do women give for having an abortion?
- Should I have my abortion on the NHS or at a private clinic?
- Does counselling help?
- How do I arrange an abortion on the NHS?
- How do I arrange an abortion at a private clinic?
- What is a ‘late term abortion?’
- How safe is an abortion?
- Will having an abortion make me infertile?
- What happens at the initial consultation?
- What are the risks of an abortion?
- What can I expect after my abortion?
- What is the aftercare?
- Will I be able to have a baby some point in the future even though I have had an abortion?
Guide to Abortion
- Abortion Intro
- What is abortion?
- Later term abortion
- History of abortion
- Abortion debate
- Father’s rights
- Selective abortion
- Reasons for abortion
- Abortion facts
- Where to get an abortion
- NHS abortion
- Private abortion
- Preparing for an abortion
- Methods of abortion
- Surgical abortion
- Vacuum aspiration
- Dilation and evacuation
- Late abortion
- Risks of an abortion
- Coping after an abortion
- Teenagers and abortion
- Abortion FAQs