Q12. How do I arrange an abortion at a private clinic?
A12. If you don’t want to wait or worry that you might see someone that you know if you go via the NHS then choose a private clinic.
You do not need to go through your GP for this. You contact a private clinic directly and arrange a consultation.
You will have to obtain two signatures from the clinic. This is mandatory under the 1967 Abortion Act. These signatures are recorded on a legal document and give permission for an abortion to take place.
The advantage of a private clinic is the greater choice of when to have your abortion, e.g. at a weekend and less of a wait. However, you have to pay for this and costs vary between £400 and £1,800 or more.
It is vital that you find a licensed and reputable clinic. Visit our private abortion section to find out more about how to do this.
- My pregnancy is unplanned, should I consider an abortion?
- Does abortion hurt?
- Why is abortion such a controversial issue?
- I am thinking about having an abortion; what do I need to consider?
- Is there more than one type of abortion?
- I am under 16; do I have to get my parents permission to have an abortion?
- How much does an abortion cost?
- What reasons do women give for having an abortion?
- Should I have my abortion on the NHS or at a private clinic?
- Does counselling help?
- How do I arrange an abortion on the NHS?
- How do I arrange an abortion at a private clinic?
- What is a ‘late term abortion?’
- How safe is an abortion?
- Will having an abortion make me infertile?
- What happens at the initial consultation?
- What are the risks of an abortion?
- What can I expect after my abortion?
- What is the aftercare?
- Will I be able to have a baby some point in the future even though I have had an abortion?
Guide to Abortion
- Abortion Intro
- What is abortion?
- Later term abortion
- History of abortion
- Abortion debate
- Father’s rights
- Selective abortion
- Reasons for abortion
- Abortion facts
- Where to get an abortion
- NHS abortion
- Private abortion
- Preparing for an abortion
- Methods of abortion
- Surgical abortion
- Vacuum aspiration
- Dilation and evacuation
- Late abortion
- Risks of an abortion
- Coping after an abortion
- Teenagers and abortion
- Abortion FAQs