Q5. Is there more than one type of abortion?
A5. Yes. There are three types of abortion which include:
- Medical abortion
- Surgical abortion
- Late abortion�
The medical abortion involves you taking an ‘abortion pill’�which helps to break down the lining of your womb. This lining and the foetus are expelled from your womb in the same way as a menstrual period.
Surgical abortion involves either vacuum aspiration or dilation and evacuation. The foetus is removed from your womb by suction tube only or forceps plus a suction tube.
Late abortion is performed in two ways: surgery (two stage) or medical abortion which also includes dilation and evacuation.
These are discussed in more detail in our methods of abortion section.
- My pregnancy is unplanned, should I consider an abortion?
- Does abortion hurt?
- Why is abortion such a controversial issue?
- I am thinking about having an abortion; what do I need to consider?
- Is there more than one type of abortion?
- I am under 16; do I have to get my parents permission to have an abortion?
- How much does an abortion cost?
- What reasons do women give for having an abortion?
- Should I have my abortion on the NHS or at a private clinic?
- Does counselling help?
- How do I arrange an abortion on the NHS?
- How do I arrange an abortion at a private clinic?
- What is a ‘late term abortion?’
- How safe is an abortion?
- Will having an abortion make me infertile?
- What happens at the initial consultation?
- What are the risks of an abortion?
- What can I expect after my abortion?
- What is the aftercare?
- Will I be able to have a baby some point in the future even though I have had an abortion?
Guide to Abortion
- Abortion Intro
- What is abortion?
- Later term abortion
- History of abortion
- Abortion debate
- Father’s rights
- Selective abortion
- Reasons for abortion
- Abortion facts
- Where to get an abortion
- NHS abortion
- Private abortion
- Preparing for an abortion
- Methods of abortion
- Surgical abortion
- Vacuum aspiration
- Dilation and evacuation
- Late abortion
- Risks of an abortion
- Coping after an abortion
- Teenagers and abortion
- Abortion FAQs