Q3. Why is abortion such a controversial issue?
A3. Abortion is one of those issues which polarises opinion. It is something which many people have strong feelings for or against and in some cases; this has resulted in protest and violence.
The arguments are based whether the foetus is considered ‘a person’. If it is then it is an innocent being which has the right to life. The crucial point here is at what point in its development does it become a human being?
On the other hand there are arguments for the rights of the mother which includes the right to decide what happens with her body. If she is at serious risk to her health then her needs are placed above those of the foetus.
There are people on both sides of the divide who do concede that abortion may be permissible if the mother or foetus’s life is in danger.
Find out more in our abortion debate section.
- My pregnancy is unplanned, should I consider an abortion?
- Does abortion hurt?
- Why is abortion such a controversial issue?
- I am thinking about having an abortion; what do I need to consider?
- Is there more than one type of abortion?
- I am under 16; do I have to get my parents permission to have an abortion?
- How much does an abortion cost?
- What reasons do women give for having an abortion?
- Should I have my abortion on the NHS or at a private clinic?
- Does counselling help?
- How do I arrange an abortion on the NHS?
- How do I arrange an abortion at a private clinic?
- What is a ‘late term abortion?’
- How safe is an abortion?
- Will having an abortion make me infertile?
- What happens at the initial consultation?
- What are the risks of an abortion?
- What can I expect after my abortion?
- What is the aftercare?
- Will I be able to have a baby some point in the future even though I have had an abortion?
Guide to Abortion
- Abortion Intro
- What is abortion?
- Later term abortion
- History of abortion
- Abortion debate
- Father’s rights
- Selective abortion
- Reasons for abortion
- Abortion facts
- Where to get an abortion
- NHS abortion
- Private abortion
- Preparing for an abortion
- Methods of abortion
- Surgical abortion
- Vacuum aspiration
- Dilation and evacuation
- Late abortion
- Risks of an abortion
- Coping after an abortion
- Teenagers and abortion
- Abortion FAQs