Q17. What are the risks of an abortion?
A17. This is a safe procedure but complications do occur although these tend to be rare.
There are side effects of an abortion which include feeling sick after a general anaesthetic, bleeding and abdominal cramps although these are a normal part of the procedure. The bleeding and cramps can be controlled by painkillers and will ease after a few weeks.
Complications include severe bleeding, damage to the cervix (neck of the womb), infection, thrombosis (blood clot in the legs) or an incomplete abortion (small traces of embryonic tissue are left).
Find out more about these in our risks of abortion section.
- My pregnancy is unplanned, should I consider an abortion?
- Does abortion hurt?
- Why is abortion such a controversial issue?
- I am thinking about having an abortion; what do I need to consider?
- Is there more than one type of abortion?
- I am under 16; do I have to get my parents permission to have an abortion?
- How much does an abortion cost?
- What reasons do women give for having an abortion?
- Should I have my abortion on the NHS or at a private clinic?
- Does counselling help?
- How do I arrange an abortion on the NHS?
- How do I arrange an abortion at a private clinic?
- What is a ‘late term abortion?’
- How safe is an abortion?
- Will having an abortion make me infertile?
- What happens at the initial consultation?
- What are the risks of an abortion?
- What can I expect after my abortion?
- What is the aftercare?
- Will I be able to have a baby some point in the future even though I have had an abortion?
Guide to Abortion
- Abortion Intro
- What is abortion?
- Later term abortion
- History of abortion
- Abortion debate
- Father’s rights
- Selective abortion
- Reasons for abortion
- Abortion facts
- Where to get an abortion
- NHS abortion
- Private abortion
- Preparing for an abortion
- Methods of abortion
- Surgical abortion
- Vacuum aspiration
- Dilation and evacuation
- Late abortion
- Risks of an abortion
- Coping after an abortion
- Teenagers and abortion
- Abortion FAQs