Q15. Will having an abortion make me infertile?
A15. This is unlikely. If you decide to have children at some point in the future then your ability to do so will be unaffected by your previous abortion.
There is a tiny risk of infertility with an abortion which increases slightly at a later stage termination, but, this is still very rare.
The main risk is that of an infection which if left untreated can result in pelvic inflammatory disease. This is a serious internal disease which can cause infertility.
However, you can prevent the risk of an infection by following the guidelines given to you by the clinic.
Find out more about this in our methods of abortion section.
- My pregnancy is unplanned, should I consider an abortion?
- Does abortion hurt?
- Why is abortion such a controversial issue?
- I am thinking about having an abortion; what do I need to consider?
- Is there more than one type of abortion?
- I am under 16; do I have to get my parents permission to have an abortion?
- How much does an abortion cost?
- What reasons do women give for having an abortion?
- Should I have my abortion on the NHS or at a private clinic?
- Does counselling help?
- How do I arrange an abortion on the NHS?
- How do I arrange an abortion at a private clinic?
- What is a ‘late term abortion?’
- How safe is an abortion?
- Will having an abortion make me infertile?
- What happens at the initial consultation?
- What are the risks of an abortion?
- What can I expect after my abortion?
- What is the aftercare?
- Will I be able to have a baby some point in the future even though I have had an abortion?
Guide to Abortion
- Abortion Intro
- What is abortion?
- Later term abortion
- History of abortion
- Abortion debate
- Father’s rights
- Selective abortion
- Reasons for abortion
- Abortion facts
- Where to get an abortion
- NHS abortion
- Private abortion
- Preparing for an abortion
- Methods of abortion
- Surgical abortion
- Vacuum aspiration
- Dilation and evacuation
- Late abortion
- Risks of an abortion
- Coping after an abortion
- Teenagers and abortion
- Abortion FAQs