Q8. What reasons do women give for having an abortion?
A8. These vary between individual women. They include terminating a pregnancy on the grounds that the foetus is unlikely to live for very long once it is born; serious or life threatening health risks to the mother; deformity or disability in the foetus; rape or child abuse; poverty and the mother being too young or not capable of looking after a baby.
Abortion which is performed to save the mother’s life or prevent the risk of a serious disease – known as ‘therapeutic abortion’ is for many people, easier to accept than abortion carried out for social reasons, e.g. failure of contraception.
Find out more in our reasons for abortion section.
- My pregnancy is unplanned, should I consider an abortion?
- Does abortion hurt?
- Why is abortion such a controversial issue?
- I am thinking about having an abortion; what do I need to consider?
- Is there more than one type of abortion?
- I am under 16; do I have to get my parents permission to have an abortion?
- How much does an abortion cost?
- What reasons do women give for having an abortion?
- Should I have my abortion on the NHS or at a private clinic?
- Does counselling help?
- How do I arrange an abortion on the NHS?
- How do I arrange an abortion at a private clinic?
- What is a ‘late term abortion?’
- How safe is an abortion?
- Will having an abortion make me infertile?
- What happens at the initial consultation?
- What are the risks of an abortion?
- What can I expect after my abortion?
- What is the aftercare?
- Will I be able to have a baby some point in the future even though I have had an abortion?
Guide to Abortion
- Abortion Intro
- What is abortion?
- Later term abortion
- History of abortion
- Abortion debate
- Father’s rights
- Selective abortion
- Reasons for abortion
- Abortion facts
- Where to get an abortion
- NHS abortion
- Private abortion
- Preparing for an abortion
- Methods of abortion
- Surgical abortion
- Vacuum aspiration
- Dilation and evacuation
- Late abortion
- Risks of an abortion
- Coping after an abortion
- Teenagers and abortion
- Abortion FAQs