Q13. What are the risks of a vasectomy reversal?
A13. All surgery comes with a small amount of risk. Complications are rare but they can happen and this is something to be aware of when making your decision. Vasectomy reversal is a commonly performed and safe procedure and the chance of something going wrong is rare. But a small minority of people do experience complications which include:
- Bleeding within your scrotum
- Build up of fluid in your scrotum
- Damaged blood vessels
- Pinched nerves or scarring resulting in long term pain
- Bad reaction to the anaesthetic
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
These can occur during or after surgery. This is discussed further in our risks of vasectomy reversal section.
FAQS Index : A guide to Vasectomy Reversal
- What is a vasectomy reversal?
- Can a vasectomy reversal be performed as keyhole surgery?
- Can I have a local anaesthetic?
- Am I a suitable candidate for a vasectomy reversal?
- If I am not suitable then is there an alternative?
- How successful is vasectomy reversal?
- What are the failure rates for vasectomy reversal?
- How much does a vasectomy reversal cost?
- Will the NHS pay for a vasectomy reversal?
- How long does a vasectomy reversal take?
- Which procedure will I need?
- If my vasectomy reversal fails, can I have a second procedure?
- What are the risks of a vasectomy reversal?
- What is the recovery time after a vasectomy reversal?
- How much time will I need off work?
- When can I have sex after surgery?
- How will I know if I am fertile?
- Will my partner become pregnant following my surgery?
- How long should I wait before having a vasectomy reversal?
- Why is it more difficult than a vasectomy?
Guide to Vasectomy Reversal
- Vasectomy Reversal Guide
- About Vasectomy Reversal
- Why Vasectomy Reversal?
- Effectiveness of Vasectomy Reversal
- NHS or Private Clinic?
- Alternatives to a Vasectomy Reversal
- Vasectomy Reversal Surgery
- The Benefits of Vasectomy Reversal
- The Risks of Vasectomy Reversal
- The Consultation for Vasectomy Reversal
- Preparing for your Vasectomy Reversal
- The Vasectomy Reversal Procedure
- After your Vasectomy Reversal
- Going Abroad for a Vasectomy Reversal
- Vasectomy Reversal and Sperm Count
- Vasectomy Reversal FAQs