Q8. Can I get help towards the cost of my care?

A8. If you are applying for help towards the cost of care at home then in most cases the local authority will expect you to contribute to the costs.

The type of help and the amount they are willing to pay varies between local authorities so you will need to check with yours.

Your local authority will carry out a needs assessment which will help them to determine what your needs are and services which are suitable for that. If for example, you find it difficult to cook meals then they can arrange for meals on wheels to deliver a hot meal to your door on a daily basis.

Your local authority will draw up a care plan which outlines the services you need and how they will be provided.

Funds are limited so local authorities use a set of criteria to decide who gets help and in what form.

Other options include the Independent Living Fund which helps severely disabled people, housing grants or benefits such as Attendance Allowance.

For more information visit our care at home section.

FAQS Index : A guide to Elderly Care

FAQs Intro

  1. Is there more than one type of care home?
  2. Which type of care home is right for me?
  3. My mother has Alzheimer’s disease and requires care; how do I go about arranging this?
  4. How much does a care home cost?
  5. Why are care home fees so expensive?
  6. Will I have to pay for all of my care home fees?
  7. Will I have to sell my house to pay for my nursing home fees?
  8. Can I get help towards the cost of my care?
  1. What is a ‘needs assessment?’
  2. I am not happy with the standard of care at my father’s care home; how do I make a complaint?
  3. Are there alternatives to a care home?
  4. How do I go about arranging help at home for my parents?
  5. I want to stay in my own home but am finding it difficult to manage: can I get any help with this?
  6. What is ‘sheltered accommodation'?
  7. What is ‘assisted living?’

© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved