Q1. Is there more than one type of care home?
A1. Yes. There are three types of care home which are:
- Nursing home
- Residential home
- Specialist home
A nursing home is for people who require complex and intensive nursing care. This level of care is available on a 24 hour basis and is in addition to personal care.
A residential home is for those people who require personal care, such as help with getting dressed or having a bath. It can also help with minor ailments or provide somewhere to recover after a short illness. If you have a chronic medical condition or require a high degree of nursing then a nursing home may be more suitable. A specialist home caters for people with particular medical conditions such as Parkinson’s disease or Alzheimer’s disease. They also provide care for young people/adults who are physically disabled.
FAQS Index : A guide to Elderly Care
- Is there more than one type of care home?
- Which type of care home is right for me?
- My mother has Alzheimer’s disease and requires care; how do I go about arranging this?
- How much does a care home cost?
- Why are care home fees so expensive?
- Will I have to pay for all of my care home fees?
- Will I have to sell my house to pay for my nursing home fees?
- Can I get help towards the cost of my care?
- What is a ‘needs assessment?’
- I am not happy with the standard of care at my father’s care home; how do I make a complaint?
- Are there alternatives to a care home?
- How do I go about arranging help at home for my parents?
- I want to stay in my own home but am finding it difficult to manage: can I get any help with this?
- What is ‘sheltered accommodation'?
- What is ‘assisted living?’
- Elderly Care Guide
- Growing Older
- What to think about
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Help at Home
- Care Homes
- Do I need to go into a care home?
- What type of care home?
- Choosing a care home
- Your first step
- Finding the right care home
- Not happy with your care home?
- Other Options to a Care Home
- Care at Home
- Retirement Housing
- Sheltered Accommodation
- Assisted Living
- Paying for Elderly Care
- Care Home Fees