Q7. Will I have to sell my house to pay for my nursing home fees?

A7. This may be a possibility. If you are applying for help from your local authority and the value of your house is more than capital upper limit then you might have to sell this to pay for care.

If you are a home owner then the value of your house will be taken into account during the needs assessment. Your house is classed as capital along with any savings you have and investments. Seek professional advice before you think of doing so.

More information on this can be found in the can I get help to pay for a care home section.

FAQS Index : A guide to Elderly Care

FAQs Intro

  1. Is there more than one type of care home?
  2. Which type of care home is right for me?
  3. My mother has Alzheimer’s disease and requires care; how do I go about arranging this?
  4. How much does a care home cost?
  5. Why are care home fees so expensive?
  6. Will I have to pay for all of my care home fees?
  7. Will I have to sell my house to pay for my nursing home fees?
  8. Can I get help towards the cost of my care?
  1. What is a ‘needs assessment?’
  2. I am not happy with the standard of care at my father’s care home; how do I make a complaint?
  3. Are there alternatives to a care home?
  4. How do I go about arranging help at home for my parents?
  5. I want to stay in my own home but am finding it difficult to manage: can I get any help with this?
  6. What is ‘sheltered accommodation'?
  7. What is ‘assisted living?’

© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved