Q3. My mother has Alzheimer’s disease and requires care; how do I go about arranging this?
A3. Alzheimer’s disease is a complex and challenging condition which requires highly specialised care. People with this form of dementia require 24 hour care in a safe yet pleasant environment in which they are treated with dignity and compassion.
This means finding a suitable care home. Our section on care homes contains plenty of information on what to look for in a care home and choosing the right home for you.
If you are paying for all of your mother’s care then you can choose a home from within the independent sector.
If you are applying for financial assistance from your local authority then they will help to arrange this for you.
Our finding the right care home section has more information on this. Also have a look at our paying for elderly care section.
Our links section contains details of useful organisation which can help with this matter. A very good source of information is the Alzheimer’s Society.
FAQS Index : A guide to Elderly Care
- Is there more than one type of care home?
- Which type of care home is right for me?
- My mother has Alzheimer’s disease and requires care; how do I go about arranging this?
- How much does a care home cost?
- Why are care home fees so expensive?
- Will I have to pay for all of my care home fees?
- Will I have to sell my house to pay for my nursing home fees?
- Can I get help towards the cost of my care?
- What is a ‘needs assessment?’
- I am not happy with the standard of care at my father’s care home; how do I make a complaint?
- Are there alternatives to a care home?
- How do I go about arranging help at home for my parents?
- I want to stay in my own home but am finding it difficult to manage: can I get any help with this?
- What is ‘sheltered accommodation'?
- What is ‘assisted living?’
- Elderly Care Guide
- Growing Older
- What to think about
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Help at Home
- Care Homes
- Do I need to go into a care home?
- What type of care home?
- Choosing a care home
- Your first step
- Finding the right care home
- Not happy with your care home?
- Other Options to a Care Home
- Care at Home
- Retirement Housing
- Sheltered Accommodation
- Assisted Living
- Paying for Elderly Care
- Care Home Fees