Q10. I am not happy with the standard of care at my father’s care home; how do I make a complaint?
A10. You can speak to a member of staff at the home or the care home manager. In most cases, an informal chat can resolve any issues.
If you don’t feel confident doing this then ask a friend or a relative to help you with making a complaint. Another option is to speak to someone at your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau.
If the informal approach doesn’t work then make a formal complaint. All registered care homes must have a complaints procedure which should have been shown to you when your father was first moving into the home. This should explain clearly the process of making a complaint.
If else fails then contact the Care Quality Commission. They are a regulatory body responsible for care homes in England.
Their website address can be found on our links page.
FAQS Index : A guide to Elderly Care
- Is there more than one type of care home?
- Which type of care home is right for me?
- My mother has Alzheimer’s disease and requires care; how do I go about arranging this?
- How much does a care home cost?
- Why are care home fees so expensive?
- Will I have to pay for all of my care home fees?
- Will I have to sell my house to pay for my nursing home fees?
- Can I get help towards the cost of my care?
- What is a ‘needs assessment?’
- I am not happy with the standard of care at my father’s care home; how do I make a complaint?
- Are there alternatives to a care home?
- How do I go about arranging help at home for my parents?
- I want to stay in my own home but am finding it difficult to manage: can I get any help with this?
- What is ‘sheltered accommodation'?
- What is ‘assisted living?’
- Elderly Care Guide
- Growing Older
- What to think about
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Help at Home
- Care Homes
- Do I need to go into a care home?
- What type of care home?
- Choosing a care home
- Your first step
- Finding the right care home
- Not happy with your care home?
- Other Options to a Care Home
- Care at Home
- Retirement Housing
- Sheltered Accommodation
- Assisted Living
- Paying for Elderly Care
- Care Home Fees