What is the ear reshaping (otoplasty) procedure?
You will have the choice of a local or general anaesthetic although this will be done in conjunction with your surgeon’s advice.
Your surgeon will make a series of tiny incisions in the back of each ear. These will reveal the ear cartilage. Your surgeon will then reshape this cartilage, bending it back towards the side of the head and fixing it in its new position.
On the other hand your surgeon may have to make an incision in the back of the ear to remove skin. This means he or she can stitch the cartilage back into an ear shape without having to remove any cartilage.
The incisions are closed with stitches which also help to fix the ears in place. These will either be dissolvable or the removable kind. A few of the non-dissolvable type may be required to stop any cartilage from springing out of its new position.
A large bandage similar to a headband will be placed around your ears to help keep the ears in their new position. This must be kept in place for at least a week. It will also prevent bleeding and swelling.
This surgery can usually take around one to two hours.
Otoplasty - ear correction surgery / ear reshaping surgery Guide Index:
- What is otoplasty surgery?
- Who should consider ear reshaping surgery?
- Who is not suitable for otoplasty?
- How much does ear reshaping surgery cost?
- Can I have ear reshaping surgery on the NHS?
- Can I go abroad for otoplasty?
- How do I find a reputable surgeon for ear reshaping surgery?
- What should I ask my surgeon?
- I have decided to have surgery, what next?
- What is the otoplasty procedure?
- How long does the recovery take for ear reshaping surgery?
- What are the benefits of ear reshaping surgery?
- What are the risks of ear reshaping surgery?
- What aftercare is available for ear reshaping surgery?
- How long do the effects of otoplasty last?
COSMETIC SURGERY TREATMENTS
- Breast Enlargement Surgery
- Breast implants guide
- Breast Lift Surgery
- Breast Asymmetry Surgery
- Breast Reduction Surgery
- Breast Capsulectomy Surgery
- Breast Implant removal Surgery
- Breast implant replacement
- Capsular Contracture
- Nipple reduction surgery
- Inverted Nipple surgery
- Mini Facelift
- Rhinoplasty - Nose Reshaping
- Revision Rhinoplasty
- Eyelid Lift surgery
- Neck lift surgery
- Brow Lift / Forehead Lift
- Cheek Implant Surgery
- Chin Augmentation - Implants
- Chin Reduction Surgery
- Ear Correction Surgery
- Arm Lift Surgery
- Body Lift Surgery
- Male breast reduction
- Buttock Lift surgery
- Buccal fat removal
- Feather Lift Surgery
- Extended abdominoplasty
- Tummy Tuck
- Mini Tummy Tuck
- Partial abdominoplasty
- Thigh Lift Surgery
- Aphrodite Gold
- Collagen Lip Injection
- Fat Injections
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Obagi Skin Peel
- Wrinkle treatments
- Laser Hair Removal
- Scar Revision
- Thread Vein removal
- Varicose Vein Surgery
- Tattoo removal
- Top 10 cosmetic surgery procedures