What is the breast reduction procedure?
You will be given a general anaesthetic. There are a variety of techniques with this surgery and these depend on personal preference and body type.
The most popular incision is the ‘anchor shape’ which is a series of three incisions.
The surgeon will make an anchor shaped incision in the areola, which is the brown circular area around the nipple. This incision runs around the areola and down (vertically) towards the natural breast crease and the underarm.
The surgeon will then remove excess fat, tissue and skin from the breast. He/she will then move the nipple and remaining underlying tissues to a higher location.
If you want a smaller areola then this can be reduced as well.
He/she will take the skin from both sides of the breast and bring it down around the areola. This will form a new, smaller breast. The incisions are then closed, either with dissolvable or non-dissolvable stitches. A series of small tubes are inserted to help with drainage (blood) and these will be removed after a couple of days.
Liposuction may be used to remove excess fat from underneath the arm or to better improve the shape of the breasts.
Patients are often worried about a loss of nipple sensation which can affect their ability to breastfeed. The areolas and nipples usually stay attached to nerves and blood vessels which mean that sensation is preserved. However, when the skin and tissues that support the breasts are stretched, then there is the risk of them having to be completely removed.
If this happens then they can be grafted back and in a higher position. This will improve your appearance but sensation may be affected.
Basically, if the nipples and areolas are left in place then sensation is possible which means you can breastfeed. If, however, they are removed and then grafted back then sensation will be affected. This loss can be permanent.
The surgery takes around two to three hours to complete, although every case is different. Dressings will be placed over both breasts and drainage tubes will be inserted underneath the arms.
Breast Reduction Surgery Guide Index:
- What is ‘breast reduction’ surgery?
- Who should consider breast reduction surgery?
- Who is not suitable for breast reduction surgery?
- Why shouldn’t I have breast reduction surgery?
- How much does breast reduction surgery cost?
- Can I get help paying for my breast reduction?
- Can I have breast reduction surgery on the NHS?
- Can I have breast reduction surgery abroad?
- I want breast reduction surgery, what next?
- How do I find a reputable breast reduction surgeon?
- What questions should I ask my surgeon?
- I have decided to go ahead so what happens next?
- How do I prepare for my breast reduction surgery?
- What will happen on the day of my surgery?
- What is the breast reduction procedure?
- What will happen after my breast reduction surgery?
- What does recovery from breast reduction involve?
- What are the benefits of breast reduction surgery?
- What are the risks of breast reduction surgery?
- Is there an ‘aftercare’ service for breast reduction surgery?
- How long does breast reduction last?
COSMETIC SURGERY TREATMENTS
- Breast Enlargement Surgery
- Breast implants guide
- Breast Lift Surgery
- Breast Asymmetry Surgery
- Breast Reduction Surgery
- Breast Capsulectomy Surgery
- Breast Implant removal Surgery
- Breast implant replacement
- Capsular Contracture
- Nipple reduction surgery
- Inverted Nipple surgery
- Mini Facelift
- Rhinoplasty - Nose Reshaping
- Revision Rhinoplasty
- Eyelid Lift surgery
- Neck lift surgery
- Brow Lift / Forehead Lift
- Cheek Implant Surgery
- Chin Augmentation - Implants
- Chin Reduction Surgery
- Ear Correction Surgery
- Arm Lift Surgery
- Body Lift Surgery
- Male breast reduction
- Buttock Lift surgery
- Buccal fat removal
- Feather Lift Surgery
- Extended abdominoplasty
- Tummy Tuck
- Mini Tummy Tuck
- Partial abdominoplasty
- Thigh Lift Surgery
- Aphrodite Gold
- Collagen Lip Injection
- Fat Injections
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Obagi Skin Peel
- Wrinkle treatments
- Laser Hair Removal
- Scar Revision
- Thread Vein removal
- Varicose Vein Surgery
- Tattoo removal
- Top 10 cosmetic surgery procedures