What does recovery from tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty) involve?
Every patient is different when it comes to recovery. Some people recover quicker than others and vice versa. Check with your surgeon as to what to expect during this time.
In general though, you are looking at least six weeks before you are able to resume your normal activities. In some cases, it can be months before you feel like your old self.
What has been found is that those patients who were physically fit before surgery recover quicker than those who aren’t. So, if you were a regular at the gym before your surgery then you will heal more quickly than those who don’t exercise.
Exercise can help with recovery but avoid very strenuous activities until your body is able to cope with them. This means no weight training or endless ab crunches!
Do a light exercise programme until your abdomen has healed and then return to your usual routine. Walking and swimming are ideal forms of exercise.
You may notice in the first two to three months that your scars appear to worsen rather than fade but this is entirely normal. They will fade over time but it can be as much as a year before they are hardly noticeable.
Overall, you can expect to be off work for two to three weeks and back to normal activities after six weeks.
If you notice any excessive bleeding, infection, rapid or abnormal heart rate or a sudden increase in pain then contact your surgeon right away. You will have been given contact details for him/her and the hospital.
Tummy Tuck Surgery / Abdominoplasty Surgery Guide Index:
- Abdominoplasty - tummy tuck intro
- Who should consider tummy tuck surgery
- Why I shouldn’t have an abdominoplasty?
- How much does abdominoplasty cost?
- Can I get help towards paying for a tummy tuck?
- Can I have a tummy tuck on the NHS?
- Can I have abdominoplasty abroad?
- I am interested in abdominoplasty what do I do next?
- How do I find an abdominoplasty surgeon?
- What questions should I ask my surgeon?
- I have decided to go ahead so what happens next?
- How do I prepare for my tummy tuck?
- What will happen on the day of my abdominoplasty?
- What is the abdominoplasty procedure?
- What will happen after my abdominoplasty?
- What does recovery from abdominoplasty involve?
- What are the benefits of abdominoplasty?
- What are the risks of abdominoplasty?
- Is there an ‘aftercare’ service for abdominoplasty?
- How long does abdominoplasty last?
COSMETIC SURGERY TREATMENTS
- Breast Enlargement Surgery
- Breast implants guide
- Breast Lift Surgery
- Breast Asymmetry Surgery
- Breast Reduction Surgery
- Breast Capsulectomy Surgery
- Breast Implant removal Surgery
- Breast implant replacement
- Capsular Contracture
- Nipple reduction surgery
- Inverted Nipple surgery
- Mini Facelift
- Rhinoplasty - Nose Reshaping
- Revision Rhinoplasty
- Eyelid Lift surgery
- Neck lift surgery
- Brow Lift / Forehead Lift
- Cheek Implant Surgery
- Chin Augmentation - Implants
- Chin Reduction Surgery
- Ear Correction Surgery
- Arm Lift Surgery
- Body Lift Surgery
- Male breast reduction
- Buttock Lift surgery
- Buccal fat removal
- Feather Lift Surgery
- Extended abdominoplasty
- Tummy Tuck
- Mini Tummy Tuck
- Partial abdominoplasty
- Thigh Lift Surgery
- Aphrodite Gold
- Collagen Lip Injection
- Fat Injections
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Obagi Skin Peel
- Wrinkle treatments
- Laser Hair Removal
- Scar Revision
- Thread Vein removal
- Varicose Vein Surgery
- Tattoo removal
- Top 10 cosmetic surgery procedures