What questions should I ask my breast enlargement surgeon at the consultation?
You need to go prepared for your consultation. It is a good idea to have a list of questions written down beforehand. Ask as many questions as you need to. If there is a question you don’t understand then ask your surgeon to explain it until you do.
It is important that you fully understand what this procedure is, what it involves, the benefits and risks, aftercare and the results.
If your surgeon or clinic appears to be giving you ‘the hard sell’ or trying to persuade you to have additional surgery then go somewhere else. If they employ ‘pushy’ or aggressive tactics to get you to sign up for surgery then again, find someone else.
It is important that you feel comfortable with your surgeon and that you like him/her. Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right or your surgeon is evasive then walk away.
You may find that you are offered a free consultation. Make sure that there are no hidden costs with this. You should see the person who is going to perform your surgery, not a nurse or counsellor.
There are questions you should ask irrespective of the procedure. These are listed in our cosmetic surgery: overview page, question 7.
These questions cover membership of BAAPS or BAPRAS or registration on the specialist register of Plastic Surgery at the GMC. These also include questions about their experience, how many procedures they have undertaken, are they a specialist in breast augmentation surgery etc.
Here is a suggested list of questions to ask your surgeon about breast augmentation surgery:
- What does breast augmentation surgery involve?
- How long does the surgery take?
- Is breast augmentation surgery painful?
- What are the benefits of breast augmentation surgery?
- What are the risks of breast augmentation surgery?
- How long will the recovery take?
- How long will I be off work?
- How long do breast implants last for?
- What are the implants made of?
- Is there a risk of the implants splitting or leaking?
- What aftercare do I get following breast augmentation surgery?
- Can I breastfeed after breast augmentation surgery?
- How much pain and scarring will there be?
- Will this procedure have to be repeated again in the future?
- How much does breast augmentation cost?
- How long will it be before I can resume my everyday activities?
- Will I have to wear a special bra after breast augmentation surgery?
- Will I lose any sensation in my nipples after breast augmentation surgery?
- What can I expect from breast augmentation surgery?
- If something goes wrong can I contact you?
Ask to see any ‘before’ and ‘after’ photographs so you get an idea of what the results of the surgery will be like. Also, make sure that you are happy for your surgeon to show these types of photographs of you to other prospective patients. This also applies to your records.
For your part you need to be realistic about what can be achieved. Breast augmentation can give great results but you need to keep these results in perspective.
Breast enlargement surgery Guide Index:
- What is ‘breast enlargement’ surgery?
- Who should consider breast enlargement surgery?
- Who is not suitable for breast enlargement surgery?
- Why shouldn't I have breast enlargement surgery?
- How much does breast enlargement cost?
- Can I get help paying for breast enlargement surgery?
- Can I have breast enlargement surgery on the NHS?
- Can I have breast enlargement surgery abroad?
- I am interested in breast surgery, what next?
- How do I find a breast enlargement surgeon?
- What questions should I ask my surgeon?
- I have decided to go ahead so what happens next?
- How do I prepare for my breast enlargement surgery?
- What happens on the day of surgery?
- What is the breast enlargement procedure?
- What happens after my breast enlargement surgery?
- What does recovery from breast enlargement involve?
- What are the benefits of breast enlargement surgery?
- What are the risks of breast enlargement surgery?
- Is there an ‘aftercare’ service?
- How long does breast enlargement last?
COSMETIC SURGERY TREATMENTS
- Breast Enlargement Surgery
- Breast implants guide
- Breast Lift Surgery
- Breast Asymmetry Surgery
- Breast Reduction Surgery
- Breast Capsulectomy Surgery
- Breast Implant removal Surgery
- Breast implant replacement
- Capsular Contracture
- Nipple reduction surgery
- Inverted Nipple surgery
- Mini Facelift
- Rhinoplasty - Nose Reshaping
- Revision Rhinoplasty
- Eyelid Lift surgery
- Neck lift surgery
- Brow Lift / Forehead Lift
- Cheek Implant Surgery
- Chin Augmentation - Implants
- Chin Reduction Surgery
- Ear Correction Surgery
- Arm Lift Surgery
- Body Lift Surgery
- Male breast reduction
- Buttock Lift surgery
- Buccal fat removal
- Feather Lift Surgery
- Extended abdominoplasty
- Tummy Tuck
- Mini Tummy Tuck
- Partial abdominoplasty
- Thigh Lift Surgery
- Aphrodite Gold
- Collagen Lip Injection
- Fat Injections
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Obagi Skin Peel
- Wrinkle treatments
- Laser Hair Removal
- Scar Revision
- Thread Vein removal
- Varicose Vein Surgery
- Tattoo removal
- Top 10 cosmetic surgery procedures