Car accidents abroad claims

Many people choose to take their car abroad or hire one in order to explore their surroundings or to travel from one hotel to another. Others choose to have a ‘road trip’ type of holiday where they explore aspects of a particular country by car. More people are choosing to drive whilst abroad and this has become much easier and cheaper to do. However, this increase has corresponded with an increase in the number of accidents abroad.

Most car accidents occur for many of the same reasons as those in the UK. This includes a lack of concentration, being distracted or a failure to read a situation correctly. Driving whilst under the influence of alcohol is another reason.

A car accident results in pain, emotional distress and a loss of earnings. This then impacts upon that person’s everyday life.

What does a claim for a car accident abroad include?

A claim can be made if you were involved in an accident which was not your fault. Compensation may be paid if you have sustained injuries from any situations:

  • As a driver
  • As a passenger
  • As a pedestrian

If you suffer a personal injury as a result of a car accident then you may be able to claim compensation whatever the extent of your injuries. A claim can be made against the driver or their insurance company.

Making a claim for compensation from a car accident abroad

If you are injured as a result of a car accident whilst travelling abroad then do the following:

  • Make a note of what happened, e.g. vehicle registration and names and addresses of everyone involved. Obtain details of their insurance company as well.
  • Do not discuss the accident
  • Take photos of the damaged vehicle, injuries sustained etc. These will be used as evidence in compensation claim.
  • Keep any documentation relating to your accident
  • Find a personal injury lawyer or a claims management firm. Another option is to report the accident to your insurance company.

There is something called the ‘Fourth European Union Motor Insurance Directive’which has simplified the process of making a compensation claim. This enables someone who has been injured in a car accident whilst abroad to make a claim for compensation with a personal injury lawyer in the UK.

You can make a claim directly against the insurance company of the person who caused the accident. Plus their insurance company has to also engage someone in the UK to help settle this claim.

This is one of several directives as part of the European Union Motor Insurance Directives.

(Source: MIB: Motor Insurers Bureau)

Time limit for claiming compensation for a car accident abroad

A claim for compensation must be made within 3 years of the date of the accident.

Our making a claim for compensation section discusses this process in full. It is discussed in a series of steps - from finding a solicitor to the amount of compensation.

If you have been injured as a result of a car accident in the UK, then visit our road traffic accidents claims section.

Personal Injury Guide

Medic8® Guides

© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved