Claims against local authority

A local authority provides a wide range of services to the local community. They have a duty of care to their employees and the public which includes minimising the risk of an accident or injury.

They are expected to put safeguards in place or follow strict health and safety rules to protect the general public. This applies to all public areas, for example parks.

But if this falls short in any way or is poorly administered then accidents will happen. People can fall over, slip or injure themselves due to negligence which can have long lasting effects.

If you or someone you know has been injured as a result of negligence by the local authority then you may be able to claim compensation.

What does a local authority do?

Also known as local government, these authorities are located within every county within in the UK, e.g. Cheshire and provide a variety of services for their community.

They work in conjunction with other public sector organisations such as the police and healthcare to meet the needs of their community.

Here are a few examples of services provided by a local authority:

  • Social care
  • Environment, e.g. recycling, parks etc
  • Sports and leisure, e.g. leisure centres, museums etc
  • Libraries
  • Transport
  • Schools

Each local authority regulates and maintains these services within their area.

Local authorities are often referred to as ‘councils’.

Making a claim for compensation for a local authority accident or injury

If you sustain an injury which is not your fault then you will need to have proof of this to pursue a claim for compensation. This means making a note of where your accident happened, e.g. the public place; taking names and addresses of witnesses (if any) and taking photographs of what caused your injury, e.g. a broken paving slab.

Find a personal injury lawyer or solicitor who has expertise in dealing with these claims. They will have knowledge of what these types of claims involve and will advise you accordingly.

They should handle your claim with sensitivity and understanding, and discuss the likely outcome.

For more information visit our making a claim for compensation section.

Time limit for claiming compensation for a local authority accident or injury

Many personal injury claims come with a 3 year time limit. This means that anyone wishing to make a claim for compensation must do so within 3 years of the date of the accident.

This will be discussed in greater detail by your lawyer or solicitor.

Personal Injury Guide

Medic8® Guides

© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved