Slips and trips claims

A common workplace accident is a slip, trip or fall. They are amongst the most common types of compensation claims and occur in a variety of places.

Falls from a height are discussed in a separate section.

Note: If your injury occurred as a result of a slip, trip or fall within a supermarket then visit our shopping centre and supermarket accident claims section.

All of us have at some point slipped, tripped or fallen - either due to an object lying in our way or through sheer clumsiness. Often there is no-one to blame but ourselves when this happens but there are cases where it occurs due to someone else’s fault.

All of us have to take a certain amount of responsibility when out and about and this also applies to the workplace. But allowances have to be made for human error.

There are situations in which someone slips or trips at work due to thoughtlessness on the part of someone else.

If you have sustained an injury at work as a result of a slip or trip which was not your fault then you may be able to claim compensation.

Most common types of slips and trips at work

A slip or trip can occur in any workplace, whether that is an office, factory, warehouse, construction site or foundry. There will always be the risk of this happening when large numbers of people are engaged in a variety of tasks within a confined space.

Common workplace slips and trips include:

  • Slipping on a wet floor, e.g. supermarket
  • Slipping on spilled liquid
  • Tripping over a frayed or damaged carpet tile
  • Tripping over an object left in an inappropriate place
  • Slipping or tripping in an poorly lit area
  • Slipping or tripping on stairs which are unsafe or damaged

There are numerous examples of slips and trips but these are the most reported incidents.

It is difficult to legislate for human error or a lack of care by someone but there are regulations in place which do just that.

There are Health and Safety regulations regarding the protection of employees against slips and trips in the workplace. These include the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.


But there is also an onus on an employer to protect employees as well.

Employer responsibility

Employers and owners have a responsibility to safeguard their employees from the risk of an accident or injury. This means ensuring that the work environment is safe and free from any hazards which are likely to cause an injury.

If they fail to do so then an injury will occur which makes them liable for a compensation claim.

No-one should underestimate the effect of an injury sustained as a result of a workplace slip or trip as it can have serious consequences.

Effects of slips or trips at work

A slip or trip can result in a relatively minor injury which requires minimal treatment and rest. In most cases the affected person will be able to return to work after a few days.

But there are other accidents which result in injuries which lead to complications or a permanent disability. These are life changing accidents which are devastating to both the injured person and their family and cause a great deal of distress.

If you have suffered a serious injury as a result of a slip or trip then it can mean physical, mental and emotional trauma. There is the pain of the injury which may increase your risk of arthritis or has left you with limited mobility.

There is the inconvenience of having to take time off work which can be for several months at a time. This means a drop in income which puts a strain upon your finances. This is even more of an issue if your injury forces you to change jobs or retire from work on health grounds.

You and your family are then faced with a reduced income and standard of living. Added to this is the cost of any specialist treatment, care or equipment you may need to assist you in your recovery.

Compensation can improve your situation by covering the cost of these additional expenses and replacing your lost income. It will not undo the effect of your accident but may help to improve your quality of life.

Making a claim for compensation for a slip or trip at work

Find a personal injury law firm or solicitor with experience in handling claims such as yours and with the necessary knowledge and understanding of the complexities involved.

He or she will have dealt with many cases related to workplace slips and trips and will use this experience to advise you about the possible outcome of your claim.

Your claim will be assessed initially to see what evidence there is to support it. What will help is if you have obtained as much evidence as possible. Plus if you have recorded the accident in an accident book, taken photographs of what caused your accident and the contact details of any witnesses.

For more information visit our making a claim for compensation section.

Time limit for claiming compensation for a slip or trip at work

Personal injury claims have a 3 year deadline so it is important to find a lawyer or solicitor as soon as possible. This deadline starts from the date of the accident, recorded injury or diagnosed illness.

If you wish confirm the deadline for your claim with your lawyer or solicitor.

Personal Injury Guide

Medic8® Guides

© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved