Mental health claims
Around 1 in 4 of us will suffer from a mental illness at some point in our lives. These include anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, psychosis or an eating disorder, e.g. anorexia nervosa.
This has a traumatic effect on the sufferer but is no less traumatic for their family. Their family is often left to cope with what can be a distressing situation and very often, do not know where to obtain help.
People with mental illnesses are amongst some of the most vulnerable members of society. They require care, understanding and compassion for their condition which is often difficult to deal with.
This care can take place within a psychiatric facility or at home but whatever the situation it should be administered to the highest standard.
Sadly this is not always the case.
There are cases where people with a mental illness have suffered an injury or illness due to inadequate care and supervision or medical negligence. They may have been prescribed the wrong type of medication, left unattended or allowed to self harm.
If this has happened to you or a member of your family then there may be grounds for a compensation claim.
Impact of mental illness
The consequences of a mental illness cannot be underestimated. It is a frustrating, stressful and confusing situation which is bad enough for the patient and equally traumatic for their family.
It affects every aspect of your life. Someone with a mental illness may have to give up work which then puts a strain on the family finances. They may require specialist care and support from the State which can be difficult to access.
There may be paperwork to deal with, forms to complete and other similar issues which can be both stressful and time consuming.
Compensation can help to cover the cost of this and improve quality of life for you and your family.
Making a claim for compensation for a mental health injury or illness
Claims for medical negligence such as this are complex affairs which require the services of a skilled personal injury lawyer. Find a lawyer or solicitor with expertise in this field who is also sympathetic and understanding.
They will understand the issues which surround this type of claim and how stressful it is for you and your family.
Mental illness is a sensitive subject which should be approached with tact and sensitivity.
Find out more about the claims process in our making a claim for compensation section.
Time limit for claiming compensation for a mental health injury or illness
Personal injury claims usually have a 3 year deadline but this does vary in certain types of claims.
Ask your personal injury lawyer or solicitor about the time limit for a mental health claim.
Personal Injury Guide
- Guide to Personal Injury
- What is personal injury?
- Types of personal injury
- Accident or negligence?
- Decisions about personal injury
- Complaint about personal injury
- Making a claim for compensation
- Personal injury claim process
- Taking legal action
- Personal injury lawyer
- Choosing a solicitor
- Legal costs for a personal injury
- No win no fee
- Compensation payout
- Using a claims assessor
- Criminal injuries compensation authority
- Criminal compensation order
- Specialist compensation
- Financial problems from personal injury
- Support and counselling for personal injury
- What is compensation culture?
- Personal injury fact and fiction
- Personal injury FAQs
- Accidents and illness abroad
- Aeroplane accidents and illness claims
- Assaults claims
- Hijacking claims
- Car accidents abroad claims
- Coach accidents abroad claims
- Cruise ship accidents and illness abroad
- Cycling accidents abroad claims
- Holiday accidents and illness claims
- Illness abroad claims
- Motorbike accidents abroad claims
- Skiing accidents abroad claims
- Spinal injuries abroad claims
- Sports injuries abroad claims
- Brain and spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries in children claims
- Head and brain injuries claims
- Spinal cord injuries claims
- Crime and abuse
- Child abuse claims
- Criminal injuries claims
- Elderly abuse claims
- Reports against the police claims
- Terrorism claims
- Faulty products
- Industrial diseases
- Asbestosis claims
- Industrial deafness claims
- Lung cancer claims
- Mesothelioma claims
- Pleural thickening claims
- Pleural plaques claims
- Respiratory illness claims
- Medical negligence
- Accident and emergency claims
- Cancer claims
- Community health problem claims
- Dental claims
- Eye surgery claims
- Fatalities and inquests claims
- Faulty medical product claims
- Faulty medicine claims
- Female health claims
- General medical claims
- GP claims
- Hospital acquired infection claims
- Male health claims
- Mental health claims
- Nursing home claims
- Surgery claims
- Gym and fitness centre accident claims
- Accidents in a public place claims
- Burns, scalds and laceration claims
- Children’s accident claims
- Claims against local authority
- Dog attack claims
- Environmental health and pollutant claims
- Falls claims
- Festival and concert accident claims
- Horse riding injuries claims
- Military & territorial army injuries claims
- Outdoor/adventure accident claims
- Post traumatic stress disorder claims
- Shopping centre & supermarket accident claims
- Theme park accident claims
- Road accidents
- Coach accident claims
- Cycling accident claims
- Fatal accident claims
- Motorbike accident claims
- Pedestrian accident claims
- Road traffic accident claims
- Uninsured accident claims
- Whiplash injuries claims
- Serious injuries
- Amputation claims
- Fractures claims
- Loss of eyesight claims
- Sports injuries
- Faulty equipment claims
- Inadequate supervision claims
- Incorrect coaching claims
- Reckless conduct claims
- Unsafe sporting facility accident claims
- Air accident claims
- Rail accident claims
- Sea accident claims
- Work accidents and illness
- Arthritis claims
- Back injuries claims
- Broken bones claims
- Burns and scalds claims
- Bursitis claims
- Carpal tunnel syndrome claims
- Construction industry accidents claims
- Faulty work equipment claims
- Falls from a height claims
- Fatigue claims
- Head injuries claims
- Hearing loss claims
- Hit by falling objects claims
- Inadequate training and protection claims
- Industrial accident claims
- Manual handling claims
- Neck injuries
- Occupational asthma claims
- Psychological trauma claims
- Repetitive strain injury claims
- Silicosis claims
- Employer responsibility
- Skin conditions claims
- Slips and trips claims
- Soft tissue injuries claims
- Spinal injuries claims
- Stress claims
- Tendon injuries claims
- Tinnitus claims
- Vibration white finger claims
- Welding accident and illness claims
- Workplace amputation claims