Specialist compensation

There are schemes which exist to provide compensation for certain types of illness or injury. If for example, you have sustained a particular type of illness or injury, for example asbestosis then you may be able to claim industrial injuries disablement benefit.

This can be done at the same time as making a civil claim against your employer.

Other examples of specialist schemes include:

  • Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA)
  • Vaccine Damage Payment Unit (for people who have sustained an illness due to vaccinations).
  • MacFarlane Trust (for people who have contracted HIV during treatment for haemophilia).

If you have an injury or illness related to any of this then approach them to make a claim for compensation.

Your lawyer or solicitor will be able to advise you further about this. He or she will be to tell you if there is a specialist compensation scheme for your illness or injury.

The issue is whether you should apply for compensation from a specialist scheme or make a civil claim. Ask your lawyer or solicitor about which is the best option for you.

Industrial injuries disablement benefit

This is a benefit which you may be able to get if you have become ill or sustained an injury due to a workplace accident.

The amount you may receive depends upon two factors:

  • Your age
  • The extent of your illness or injury

The extent of your injury or ‘disability’ is assessed using a percentage scale. A doctor will examine you and determine the seriousness of your injury by using a percentage system.

The higher the percentage the greater the award: for example, a disability which is assessed at 80% will be awarded £116.64 whereas 30% disability will be awarded £43.74.

These figures are a rough guide only.

(Source: DirectGov)

This benefit is not payable to self-employed people.

For more information visit the DirectGov website at www.direct.gov.uk.

Personal Injury Guide

Medic8® Guides

© Medic8® | All Rights Reserved